We are currently offering mentorship for aspiring dog trainers and current dog trainers that are looking to continue their education in the companion dog training industry.
Apprentices in our mentorship program will have varying opportunities that will enable them to improve their skillsets as dog trainers and dog training instructors. These opportunities include shadowing during private lessons, hands on experience working with different dogs with a mentor, and group meetings with other students and trainers.
We will cover a wide array of topics that directly relate to training dogs in the companion dog training industry. Every student will have strengths and weaknesses in some areas, and we will tailor mentorship accordingly. Below are 10 example topics:
- Understanding the difference between current methodologies in the dog training industry
- How to transition from a dog owner to a dog trainer to a dog training instructor
- How to help clients resolve the most common behavior problems trainers are contacted for
- Learn how to tailor your approach when working with dogs with different temperaments
- Learn necessary safety protocols when working around aggressive dogs
- Learn how training tools function and how and when to include them into a training program. We discuss ALL training tools and how they function. Regardless of what type of trainer you may become, it is beneficial that you understand how all tools are used in the industry.
- How to become a better instructor to clients with limited skills and physical disabilities
- Becoming familiar with learning theory and terminology such as classical and operant conditioning, positive and negative reinforcement, positive and negative punishment.
- Understanding the pros and cons to various training services such as private lessons, group classes, day training, and boarding and training
- Pros and cons of working for a dog training company vs starting your own business.
How do I get started?
The first step to be considered a candidate into our mentorship program is to send us an email with the following questions answered:
- What experience do you have with dogs or other animals?
- Have you ever worked as a professional trainer? If so, in what capacity?
- Why are you currently interested in mentorship?
If accepted into our program, we will contact you for an initial meeting here at our facility to discuss your goals in more detail.